Skills that a political science major helps you to develop that are applicable to any job.
Ability to Communicate:
- Present ideas clearly in writing and orally
- Turn data into useable information
- Argue and debate effectively
- Negotiate and mediate conflicts
- Listen critically.
Methods and Research:
- Interpret and analyze data
- Discern good information from bad
- Perform basic quantitative analysis
- Use summary statistics
- Understand the basics of a reliable sample survey
- Employ effectively a variety of research sources, including the Internet
- Use computers with facility
- Design research
- Summarize findings
- Test theories and hypotheses.
- Interpret data
- Understand components of complex problems
- See problems from a variety of perspectives
- Synthesize themes from complex issues
- Think "outside the box"
- Think internationally
- Assess policy and propose options
- Analyze and solve problems systematically and logically.
Planning and Development:
- Organize information
- Conceptualize problems
- Implement strategies
- Make effective decisions
- Demonstrate leadership.
- Work in a team and individually
- Develop consensus
- Interact effectively within a diverse environment