If you would like to pursue coursework and research in any of a stunning range of political science topics with our prestigious faculty, the Indiana University Department of Political Science may be the place for you. We invite your application to our top-ranked Ph.D. program, and hope that you will consider joining the ranks of our hundreds of graduates who have gone on to successful careers in academia and beyond. (See the summary of our NRC rankings.)
How to Apply
To apply, you must complete the University Graduate School’s online application. You must provide the following information in the online application:
- Statement of Purpose: Submit a written statement (1-2 standard printed pages) outlining your goals and interest in pursuing graduate study at Indiana University. This statement must be submitted electronically at the end of the online application.
- Current Resume: May be submitted electronically at the end of the online application.
- Departmental Questions Form: You must fill out the Departmental Questions form, which you find within the online application.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: The contact information (including names, street addresses, phone numbers and email addresses) of three people who will submit your letters of recommendation via the online application system. The online system will then email your contacts with instructions on how to upload their references online.
Recommended: Your online application to IU should be submitted at least 2 weeks before the actual deadline in order for your recommenders to have the opportunity to respond to their notifications by the appropriate deadline. Applications with late materials cannot be guaranteed consideration for financial aid packages.
Indiana University Institution Code: 1324
Department Code for the GRE is 1999; 1901; or 1902
Department Code for TOEFL is 92
In addition to the application materials listed above, international students are required to provide additional documentation. International students are required to take the Graduate Record Examination general test, and the TOEFL. Scores should be sent directly to:
Office of International Services/Admissions
400 East Seventh Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405
- Three letters of recommendation are required. The referees should be persons who can evaluate your potential for graduate study.
- The deadline for submitting the online application for admission and financial assistance is December 15, for admittance in the following fall.
- You must fill out the online application, upload your personal statement, which should indicate your goals, plans, and preparation for graduate study at Indiana University.
- Any outstanding awards or accomplishments should be included in this statement.
You can also upload your writing sample and any other document relevant to the application. You will need to mail your transcripts to:
- International Admissions/Office of International Services
400 E. 7th Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
You can request ETS to send your TOEFL and GRE scores to Indiana University. The codes are:
- Indiana University Institution Code: 1324
- Department Code for the GRE is 1999; 1901; or 1902
- Department Code for TOEFL is 92
- Completed files will be reviewed by the Department's Graduate Admissions and Financial Aid Committee. The results of the review will be e-mailed to the student by early March.