To apply, you must complete the University Graduate School’s online application. You must provide the following information in the online application:
- Statement of Purpose: Submit a written statement (1-2 standard printed pages) outlining your goals and interest in pursuing graduate study at Indiana University. This statement must be submitted electronically at the end of the online application.
- Current Resume: May be submitted electronically at the end of the online application.
- Writing Sample: Provide a sample of your written work. May be submitted electronically at the end of the online application.
- Departmental Questions Form: You must fill out the Departmental Questions form, which you find within the online application.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: The contact information (including names, street addresses, phone numbers and email addresses) of three people who will submit your letters of recommendation via the online application system. The online system will then email your contacts with instructions on how to upload their references online.
- GRE/TOEFL Scores: Official Graduate Record Examination general test scores are required for all applicants; international students, are also required to take and submit the TOEFL. Test scores should be submitted electronically by ETS. The codes for submitting GRE and TOEFL score are listed below.
Recommended: Your online application to IU should be submitted at least 2 weeks before the actual deadline in order for your recommenders to have the opportunity to respond to their notifications by the appropriate deadline. Applications with late materials cannot be guaranteed consideration for financial aid packages.
Official Transcripts: Domestic applicants should have official transcripts, sent by the issuing institution, directly to the Department of Political Science, attention: Graduate Secretary. They may be sent electronically to email@example.com. International applicants should have official transcripts submitted directly to the Office of International Services.
Indiana University Institution Code: 1324
Department Code for the GRE is 1999; 1901; or 1902
Department Code for TOEFL is 92